Monday, October 31, 2011

Black & White Party prep


I am helping to organize/plan an engagement party for my good friend who just got engaged (I will also be a bridesmaid at her wedding next Fall, eek!) and we have decided to do a "Black & White Ball" theme, since we were able to rent a great Ballroom space in one of her friend's apartment buildings for the event. I am in charge of decorations, which I am a little nervous but very excited about.

It's not like I don't have a plethora of black and white options already in my closet, but I wanted to get something new for an event like this that I am co-hosting & organizing. But I was a little strapped for cash this month so it had to be something on the thrifty side. I ordered this fun LBD the other day from GoJane.com (great website - check it out!)



I sort of wanted something white or with white touches just to stand out...I have a feeling this theme will be dominated by black ensembles, since that is what most people either already have or gravitate towards in the stores (white dresses are also considerably harder to find, as I learned last year when I went desperately searching for a white dress channeling Darryl Hannah's holiday frock in Wall Street, but failed miserably in finding something similar).




But I did get a white and silver pearl chain link necklace to go with the dress that should bring a pop of white into the ensemble. And I am debating wearing my B&W snakeskin patterned pumps to give it a little extra white touch. Still need to iron out the details of the outfit once the dress comes in the mail, but I'm pretty sure that red lips will be a must as well.


Here are a few shots from my phone of the ballroom space that we are renting for the party:





The tentative plan is to move one of these tables back into the hallway and move the other two into the corners of the room to open up the space. I really have never decorated a semi-classy event like this, so being in charge of decorations is a little nerve-racking.


I think I am probably going to get tall B&W candlesticks + candles to put on the tables, bar & perhaps elsewhere around the room and do B&W flower arrangements on each table. I think maybe 2 or 3 bunches of B&W balloons would be a fun, festive touch as well. Also maybe string some white lights around if I get someone tall to help me or procure a stepladder from somewhere. I will have to see what works...and of course, I don't want it to be overkill. I will also probably do some sort of bulletin board to display at the entrance with photos of the happy couple. Oh yeah and did I mention this is all on a pretty tight budget as well? Anyway, I'm really excited to synthesize all of this together and will be sure to post picks of the evening soon after. Let me know if anyone has any brilliant decorative ideas I could make use of! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment