Friday, October 28, 2011

The Lesson I learned from Nina Garcia on Twitter

So last night was the finale of Project Runway, Season 9 and I was once again, disappointed with the judge's choice of winner, Anya. It's a shame because I really love Project Runway (it's probably one of my favorite shows), but I'm thinking it might be time for new judges? Does anybody agree? Maybe it's just me, but I really didn't think Anya deserved to win. Hell, I didn't even think she deserved to show at Fashion Week based on the 3 pieces she showed for her preliminary critique! I think out of all 4 of the designers, her collection showed the least design work and probably the least effort. With the exception of this look, which shows some interesting design elements...



and possibly the bathing suit...





I really didn't see anything interesting or forward-thinking from her. Yes, her clothes were easy and she chose beautiful patterns. But is that really what Project Runway has digressed to for a winner - easy with nice patterns? I am really having trouble with this one. Last season I also had issues with the winner - I thought it should have been Mondo over Gretchen. Altogether I had an easier time reconciling the Gretchen win though, as I did think she showed a great RTW collection even if Mondo's was more artistic/fashion-forward. The Anya collection really didn't do it for me though. She said herself "This is 100% NOT my best work." So how on earth did she win? The judges loved her and she seemed to have them eating out of her hand throughout the entire season. But I really think that if you separate her from the clothes, that collection would NOT have impressed.


Viktor's collection was actually my personal favorite, I thought it should have been between him and Josh for the winner. Anya may have chosen great patterns, but Viktor created his patterns from scratch! I don't think any of Anya's pieces measure up to the design level of what Josh & Viktor showed.


Here are a few from Viktor...




And a few from Josh...


So anyway, after viewing the finale last night, I did what I normally do during and after my favorite shows - cruise around Twitter to make my opinions known to whoever will read them and get a feeling of what other people think. I was beginning to discern that I was not alone in my disdain about the winner and started replying to some tweets that were pegging Anya as "judge's favorite" & the choice of winner as just a "comp on character." Before I knew it, I had tweeted something that actually prompted a reply from Ms. Nina Garcia herself ! @ninagarcia Or whoever her ghost-tweeter is. Here is the series of tweets & replies we exchanged:

LuluBell016 (me)
@ninagarcia I know you have a lezi crush on Anya but come ooooon you're losing your eye if you thought those clothes are the next big thing

NinaGarcia (Nina)
@LuluBell016 Dear Vanessa, thanks for the comment. No crushes. I try to be imparcial and say what I think. Have a good night

LuluBell016
@ninagarcia dear Nina sorry about my comment #projectrunway gets me so hopped up you're fab but I didn't agree w the winner tonight

NinaGarcia
@LuluBell016 no worries but remember that sometimes words can hurt someone...big kiss and have a fabulous night

What do you think of that? I was flabbergasted that she responded in the first place and did a double take at her profile to make sure it was a verified account - but she was responding to a lot of fan tweets after the finale last night. I was sort of thinking "Impartial, my ass!" but I suppose the lesbian comment was a little unnecessary/below the belt. Sorry, Nina! You're right, even celebrities can be stung by harsh words and I felt bad I wrote that actually (it's been deleted). I usually try to keep a positive spin on things, although Twitter is the one network that I let my mouth fly sometimes. I'm never proud of myself when I feel like I have been mean though & I'm glad you accepted my apology.

Unfortunately none of this really changes my feelings toward the finale & choice of winner. But I do think all 4 designers from last night's show have bright futures regardless of the winner & can't wait to see or perhaps buy their future apparel. I'm sure I will watch Project Runway All Stars too-the characters and the clothes will always keep me coming back for more :)

4 comments:

  1. Great post, however I think the judges made a great decision in picking Anya as the winner. She has an Amazing eye and you can not forget the amount of talent she displayed through out the show. If Anya did not win, I would have loved to see Victor win. He and Anya both have their point of view and customer base down where Josh, not so much. I see Victor going very far despite not winning the competition, he's amazingly talented and his pieces are commercial and will sell for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I really loved Viktor's clothes and I agree, Anya does have a lot of talent-it's true that she's probably more commercial than Josh. I guess forward-thinking & conceptual is not always what wins...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed with the selection of the winner myself. I have nothing against Anya as a person. But as a designer? She's not original. She just as a great eye for prints. That's about it. Uli (of the great Season 3) also had a brilliant eye for prints BUT she knew how to construct as well. She was way ahead of her time regarding maxi and prints. And she was runner-up in her season!

    My favorite collections were Laura and Bert. If you haven't seen them check out Tom and Lorenzo website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I saw their collections and was very impressed with Laura's actually, despite not being a big fan of hers during the season. I also think hers was better than Anya's. Bert's was interesting as well & there were a few others who showed great collections that didn't appear in the finale-there was definitely a lot of talent this season!

    ReplyDelete