Sunday, November 6, 2011

Destination: Philadelphia


So I spent last weekend in Philadelphia with some girlfriends - all 3 of them I studied abroad with in Florence back in college & we have all been friends ever since. One lives in Philly now, who we stayed with over the weekend, one lives in Brooklyn & the other is still my roommate here in DC. We rotate going to visit each other every couple of months. It's nice that these 3 cities (DC/Philadelphia/New York) are so accessible to each other - taking a bus from DC to NY or Philly is pretty cheap and convenient. Sometimes the rides get long when there's traffic, but most of the buses are now equipped with WiFi, which makes the ride go quicker & electrical outlets to keep all our devices juiced.




The weather was glorious in Philly last weekend and we hit up some great restaurants, shops, bars & markets. The last time I was in Philly we stayed in Manayunk which is a cute area of town on the outskirts of the city, but this time we stayed more toward center city on Pemberton St. It's been a while since I've wandered around downtown Philly, but it's got some colorful areas along with the more conservative and historical sects. We spent most of Saturday wandering and shopping around Center City...


There are so many horse and buggies with wide-eyed tourists roaming the streets of the downtown area, it's funny. You will also see the occasional tour guide dressed up in costume like Benjamin Franklin or whoever else the Philadelphia historical figures are. It's really a cute/cool city in spite of all that though. And God knows every city has its share of tourist crap.









There are a ton of awesome shops & boutiques too! When I'm with the ladies, we always be shoppin! I was impressed with Philly boutiques, they had some great stuff to be found. Not much in the way of vintage/consignment-NY is way better for that...but the regular sale boutiques contained a wide variety of goodies. There are a good deal of concept boutiques with interesting interior design to enhance the presentation of the retail items


Saw these beauties at Three Sirens boutique on N. 3rd St. where my friend bought a gorgeous sweater. I also discovered Instagram (iphone app) this weekend! I know I know, what took me so long? I don't know but I am using the shit out of this app now! These are the ladies...



Caitlin got this sassy fur head piece/earwarmer at one of the 3rd St. boutiques...isn't it great!? Her bag is Coach, I love that too..I want me one!





Sunday we went to Sabrina's for brunch on Christian St and hit up the 9th Street Italian Market. The brunch spot was a real treat and to my delight they had a Mad Men themed specialty menu! I ordered "Dick Whitman's New Identity Special Breakfast" and it was a plateful of fun, let me tell you. The food is very inventive here and the atmosphere is casual and cool...I would definitely recommend it, great place to go with friends!


And the Italian Market is wonderful -as all Italian markets usually are. Meats, cheeses & cannolis galore!




Ciao, Philly!

4 comments:

  1. I love going to Philly on the weekends! Such an easy trip from DC and it's always so beautiful - so much to see and do there. I really want your friend's fur headband - PERFECT for this weather.

    Lovely blog, glad I found it! Following you. :)

    www.stylocrat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man Philly is great-and so are fur headbands for that matter! Thanks so much love yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your recount of a fabulous weekend! miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I miss you too come visit DC soon!

    ReplyDelete