Sunday, November 13, 2011

5 Reasons I Love Fall




Vintage skirt, boots & necklace; Anthropologie tights; Forever 21 shirt & ring; H&M jacket, scarf & shoulder bag




5. Boots + Legwear


Boots are just about the best thing invented in my opinion and I have been steadily amassing quite a collection of them over the years. They come in so many shapes and sizes, it takes so much willpower not to buy a new pair every time I walk into a store. These vintage lace-ups are an old favorite. They are utilitarian enough to take them out in the woods hiking and cute enough to rock for a leisurely urban stroll/strut. And I have so many pairs of tights these days I am beginning to sort them by color groups. These ones obviously go into the Miscellanneous stack. Aren't they wild!? They make such an impact and are so artistic - they're my perfect Autumn statement legwear. I have been collecting more and more pairs of crazy socks, too. And is it just me, or are legwarmers becoming acceptable again?? Just sayin'




4. Outdoor Outings in crisp weather


Last Saturday one of my roommates invited me to go to the National Arboretum for a picnic + general outdoor/nature funtime with him, his bf & a few other friends. My answer was a resounding yes and the outing was quite fun! The weather was just about as perfect as Fall weather gets & the Arboretum is a great place to go to enjoy some of those beautiful natural things we are a little deprived of in the city (woods, lakes, fields, interesting plants and such...) All of these photos were taken at the Arboretum.




Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.


HA I included this because I like the way the jacket looks - it's so comfy/cozy and the cinching at the waist gives a great shape!




3. Layering + Color Play


One of the best and most crucial things about the Fall wardrobe is of course, layering. We go from the ease of 2 pieces of clothing (sundress + sandals) in the summer to the more loaded composition of a Fall ensemble, but it's so fun to be able to play with so many different pieces again, you can barely complain. There's an endless slew of combinations you can create out of even just a small amount of Fall accessories. With this outfit I'm doing my go-to: skirt + tights + chunky boots + jacket + scarf + random jewelry combo. But on a slightly warmer day I could have just thrown on the scarf, no jacket or put socks on with no tights, or a different color tights would work (navy green or blue).




There are so many colors going on in this outfit, which I find playful. Greys and greens and browns and bergundys are all great Fall colors and I think I am wearing them all in this outfit. I love the pea greeen color of the scarf, it's surprisingly neutral and I wear it with countless different things - it immediately adds a pop to the outfit.




2. Thanksgiving anticipation


As do most red-blooded Americans, I love Thanksgiving and it is drawing ever-so-near. My mom usually cooks an amazing spread and seems to outdo herself every year. I usually bake a dessert to contribute - last year I did pumpkin bread pudding which turned out amazing...this year I'm attempting a Peanut Butter pie which seems very rich and fluffy in addition to chocolatey & oreo-crunchy at the bottom...mmmmm


1. Foliage!






Aah the brilliant colors of Fall...

They can make you swoon, conflict, wander, violate, unite, sway & persevere all within the space of a breath.


2 comments:

  1. I love fall for layering! lots of fun lengths and colors.

    www.curiouschase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. one other layering trick I really got into this season is sweaters over dresses-doubles my skirt collection and keeps some of my fave summer pieces in the mix!

    ReplyDelete