Friday, July 22, 2011

Destination: Brooklyn/Manhattan

Manhattan from Brooklyn



So a couple of weeks ago I took a weekend trip to New York and stayed with a friend in Brooklyn Heights. Some other friends came too and we all had an excellent time. I've always loved NYC and the surrounding areas (even though some of them are wack!) and love that it's so accessible to DC. The Friday evening bus ride can be looong sometimes with traffic (and getting back Sunday is usually no picnic either), but it's so cheap and easy it's hard to complain.



This is an urban garden I came across in the East Village while walking around a little bit before brunch at PRUNE. It's an adorable garden, perfect for lounging and reading or just staring up at the sky. There are different types of artwork on display (paintings, mural, sculpture, etc.) and some poetry incorporated into the walls of the setting.



I took a little stroll around the area since the wait for brunch was long (but worth it!) The East Village has so much flavor and pizzazz and attiude, love it!





This is the outfit I wore for brunch/ shopping/exploring on Saturday. The dress is vintage and altered (also featured here), Aldo Aviators & the sandals are Forever 21.




There's so much awesome street art everywhere in New York, it's like every wall you pass by has something intriguing or crazy or erotic to look at. I thought this mural was interesting and funny and vaguely sexual the way the humanesque Koala bear is straddling the tree so fiercely.



The rose gold locket is borrowed and the purse is Italian leather, a brand called Veggio I got it at the U St. Shoefly store. That location has since closed down :( I know there is one in Arlington, but that was one of my go-to boutiques on U St & I was definitely sad to see it go. They always had great jewelry and accessories in addition to the shoes. And this little purse is perfect, I've worn it to death since I bought it about 2 years ago and know that I will wear it forever.




This is KATZ's deli where that one scene in When Harry Met Sally was filmed...the scene where she fakes an orgasm in the middle of a deli. Great movie!



Went into Topshop on Broadway and some of the other stores around the area...browsed some vintage and consignment shops & plenty of street vendors. My friend scored a pair of vintage DVF gold and black pumps in great condition for $90. NYC shopping is the best!



Those are my 3 friends directly ahead and the great city before us...





Brooklyn Bridge from the Pier





Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn Bridge Park


These bridges are really stunning to look at. They are beautiful structures in and of themselves, but also set against the city skyline intensifies their effect. The stone Gothic aesthetic is sublime.


Brooklyn Bridge at Sunset


No comments:

Post a Comment