Friday, May 6, 2011

Shape Shifter



Shawl cover-up: Forever 21, Shoes: Levity from DSW, Belt: South Moon Under, Dress, bracelets & purse are Vintage



A light in dark places!

Alas, I do believe the dress was a luminous success!

The Ginger Root ladies achieved the movement, shape, and sex appeal I was after with their innovative and observant design work.

The impact it made in this weather really made for a bold statement. The dark atmosphere gave the whole wedding a different effect than what was expected and I thought it was beautiful.


Here are the Bride and Groom, along with the Priest who "yada yada yada'ed" marriage. Seriously, he did. She donned a long sheer veil with lace details reminiscient of the recent Kate Middleton stunner. I can only assume it was a last minute influence that polished her look to brilliant effect.




Here are my shoes from an aerial perspective. They laced up around the ankle and had the perfect shape and give in the front to comfortably hide the structural bunion on my left foot. The platform and stiletto on them were enough to give me an intense workout all night, but it was worth it. I put touches of deep red into the outfit with the toes, fingernails and lips.





The ceremony took place in the field adjacent to the Iwo Jima Memorial and was quite lovely and simple. Very unfussy, but with charming touches. The white and yellow color combination of the chairs, flowers and sparse decorations gave the whole setting a really delicate elegance that fit the mood of the day and the style of the wedded couple exquisitely.





I was hoping for a glorious sunset complete with sparkling rays of sunshine and brilliant hues of purple and peach dripping from the clouds into the DC skyline, but was rebuffed by the weather Gods, who threw me a curveball.


But I think it compliments my look in an oddly compelling way. I'm reminded of a dark, European kind of setting that adds just the right amount of drama to it all.



What do you think of the dress?

The cover-up is an off-white lacy number I picked up days beforehand at Forever 21. I think it goes excellent with the dress and dark brown accessories. It also has a vaguely Bridal look to it that I found appropriate and alluring.

The purse is a little white piece of heaven with a charming gold chain I picked up from a vintage collector in DC. The inside of it is pink silk and it came equipped with an old, rusty pocket mirror that I conscientously used to reapply my lipstick throughout the night.






Below, there's a pretty clear shot of the somewhat risque neckline. I really like what they did to it; it reveals enough without it being too much. You can also see how they took up the hem to make it quite a bit shorter. Erin and I had talked about the "sweet spot" on the legs where the hem must fall so as not to be too short and I think they hit it just right, at least for the look I was aiming for.






The dress is so fabulously provocative I love it! The dark weather really made the pink pop. Dark Romance is the vibe.



And here is Aimee also in front of the Iwo Jima memorial in a UO Dress and Nine West Shoes. I love how her dress opens in the back, giving a generally demure silhouette a hint of seduction.



And here is the front of it, also very flattering. We both have got some curves we are working with!




Although I still can't help but think that one us looked like a Jackie and one of us looked like a Marilyn. And I'm not the Jackie.






The bridal bouquets were white, but I managed to find some pink flowers to go with my dress!





Here I am with the Bride, the Maid of Honor (sisters) and the flower girl (MOH's daughter). I am really digging the white and yellow color combo, even the flower girl is rocking it! I had a splendid time dancing the night away in my light and comfy dress.


I want to thank Ginger Root Design once again for their fantastic work with the dress! I'm very happy with the result and am sure I will wear it in more casual settings as the season progresses...and into many seasons to come.


And on a final note, there was something inexplicably magnetic and corageous about wearing a vintage dress to a wedding...I highly recommend it. Sure worked for me!



1 comment: