Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Candy Cane




Vintage dress, ALDO sandals, Kate Spade purse



If every dress tells a story, this one will always make me think of what happened the first time I wore it in Brooklyn. I got it at a small vintage boutique called Angela's Vintage in the east village the day before. I debated buying it because trying it on in the store, it seemed too short to wear as a dress... but for $25 and a great fit, I was willing to take a risk and hoped for some happy adjustments.





I was right that the dress was flexible...if I just make the right pulls during minutes alone in the restroom and stay aware of the teetering length while walking, I can control it not riding up too much. Other than that little trifle I love the dress! It's a great casual Sunday funday type of dress that will also work with leggings and skinnies in the fall. I think it flatters the shit out of my body too.. how it pulls in at the waist and ties in the back. The stripes are navy blue but the trim on the neckline and the sleeves are black, providing a nice little touch of contrast.





Anyway, back to the story...after nursing our exhausted hangovers with Brooklyn Flea food (lobster rolls & paninis & fried fish tacos...mmm been dreamin about those), we walked around forever trying to find an open tattoo parlor that also did piercing so my friend could get her cartilidge pierced. After we finally accomplished the mission at hand we walked some more to try to find a cab. I don't know where we were but we were nowhere near where we started.



Right after passing this bald man who was mounting a bike, he started trying to spit some game and yelling some mildly obscene things our way. I was hoping he was hollering at someone else, but then he spouted something along the lines of: "Mmmmm mmm mm goodness gracious you look like a Candy cane!"


So at that point I knew he was addressing no one else but me. I just started walking faster to act like I didn't hear him as my friends desperately tried to muffle their laughter. So now I will always think of this as the candy cane dress, for better or for worse. I guess getting a reaction like that has to be some sort of flattering, even if it is the humiliating kind!




And one last ode to my John Lennon sunnies (got them from LA boutique, Kapsoul). This was the last time I got to wear these before they broke. I am determined to have them fixed though and I hear that Sunglass Hut will fix some pairs for free...or I'm sure a jewelry store would fix them. Either way they're comin back!

And these sunglasses are so hot right now... Guess who else was sporting a pair!


Wait for it...





















Rachel Zoe's baby that's who!













I miss you Brooklyn, I'll be back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Cute dress Vanessa! I got your email through the DCFABB group & wanted to stop by & say hello! Hope to see you at some of our future meet-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I am definitely planning to come to some future meet-ups!

    ReplyDelete