Wednesday, June 1, 2011

East Wing






The East Wing of the National Gallery of Art makes for quite an interesting backdrop! The sharp angles and lines provided endless opportunities for positioning and appear stunning in the photographs.



Zebra cardigan: Six Hundred (L.A. boutique), charcoal skinny pant: Stitch's at Loehmann's, black tank: GAP, platform sandals: Target, sunglasses: kapsoul (L.A. boutique)

This wildly fun cardigan is one of my favorite West Coast acquisitions. There's a million different ways you can wear it and wind only makes it more fun. It's got the Rock 'n roll vibe that I loved so dearly about downtown Los Angeles while I was there. A Rock 'n Roll vibe is something DC is definitely lacking..but you can find it in unexpected places.


Like here!




I've walked by the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art a hundred times, but never noticed what a trip it is until recently. I was passing by it on my way to the mall and gravitated toward it, inspecting all sides and crevices of these glass openings jutting out from the ground. They are sort of fun to play around in, not to mention a beautifully Louvre-esque addition to the Gallery's exterior.


The angles are so sharp and acute, with geometry and reflections galore. I was giddy to go back there with my sis to take some pictures...and in my new favorite cardi I tackled this place with unequivocal excitement.



The shot above is actually just a reflection on the glass. Some of the reflections appear so clear on the glass, but some sections of it are transparent. This creates the effect of a sort of riddle for the eyes, not quite knowing right away if you are looking through the glass or behind it. I also love the symmetrical blocking on the glass, as juxtaposed to the uneven sizes and varying shapes of the prisms.





Here I squirelled my way into one of the aforementioned crevices. See how you can see through the top part to the fountains, but the the lower parts reflect so vividly.


Rock 'n Roll!!




The sun was also glorious on this particular day, which helped set off the mystery and severity of the whole atmosphere.






I look like I'm walking amidst giant building blocks or dominoes I love it!






I am loving my long hair right now, it's been so long since I've had it. When you cut your hair short, which I did about 3 years ago, it takes forever to grow it long again...but it feels great once you get there. As far as hair goes, I am a long time loyal client of Tyler Larish who currently has a chair at Immortal Beloved.



This location essentially got me thinking and visualizing in different dimensions and depths.





No comments:

Post a Comment