Wednesday, April 27, 2011

70s Shift: The Fitting

After waiting about 3 months on their waiting list and impatience seizing me several times to the point where I called them asking where my placement was, I finally got in for my fitting at Ginger Root Design.

As referenced in Revival, I was anxious to have the lovely ladies at Ginger Root (Erin and Kristen) reconstruct and renew this old gem of mine:







So that's the look of it BEFORE the renovation. It's nothing but a light polyester shift dress from the 70s, but it's insanely comfortable and the vibrant floral pattern just catches every eye that looks at it without fail. It's one of my absolute favorite vintage dresses.

Here's a close-up of the fabric:



As much as I loved it, I had grown weary of the flat shape of it. I also wanted it to be a little sexier and fitted. Enter: Ginger Root Design.

So finally come mid-March, they were ready for me. Erin did the fitting for me and we had a grand old time in the boutique this dreary March afternoon; pinning and nipping, taking photos of the process and talking style.



Here I am in the dress after she had pinned in the waist and taken up the hem.




One of the greatest things about the Ginger Root designers is that they celebrate the womanly curves in their designs. Forget hiding them! These ladies accentuate the curves and really like to make them a focal point, which is really commendable and refreshing.

You can see below the pinning for what they will eliminate from the back. We agreed on some creative freedom for this part, so it might not take this exact V-shape that she planned, but probably something close to this. I thought it would be nice to make it a little more open in the back, but nothing too geometric, so as not to overpower the already busy pattern of the dress.




She will also cut the top front part down and most likely put some type of zipper up the side (possibly exposed?). I asked for this since I don't really like how it covers so much of my chest and shoulders. I like this part of my body and definitely want to show it off with the new version. Showing a little cleave will also help to make it sexier and keeps with the overall goal of intensifying the curves, so I'm all for it.


The fitting was really fun and productive. It was also just a great opportunity to chat with Erin about their progress with their own Spring-Summer line and all of the other projects they are taking on. These are two very talented and very busy girls! I have nothing but complete faith that they will transform my dress into something amazing without taking too much away from the effect of the original. Can't wait to see how it turns out and wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment